During the tail end of November, the latest official PSP firmware version (5.02) was released and subsequently decrypted. It doesn’t look like a big enough update to warrant an M33 release, but two separate custom firmware versions of the 5.02 firmware have since popped up on the QJ.NET forums.
The first comes from XiaoFeiChong. According to the forums, this is a recompiled M33 firmware. The most interesting thing about this release, however, is that it does not support backups. No ISOs, no CSOs, no nothing. If you want to run CFW but don’t want the lure of piracy, you may consider giving this a try.
The next one is from a group calling themselves Team Omega. Again, it’s 5.02, but it still has support for backups. There’s also some “new support for PSX games” mentioned on the forum post along with bug warnings for the pops, but the explanation is a bit hard to wade through. If you update to this, be aware that a lot of your homebrew and plugins will end up broken, as is usually the case with firmware updates.
If you want to learn more about these two custom firmware releases, I recommend clicking on their respective forum links below before you download and install them on your PSP. Still, don’t forget to keep a jigkick battery handy.
This is a recompiled M33 firmware that does not support backups. No ISOs, no CSOs, no nothing. If you want to run CFW but don’t want the lure of piracy, you may consider giving this a try.
5.02 CFW OLD SCENER SCHOOL ONLY RELEASE!
This release is ONLY for developers and TRULY OLD SCENERS SCHOOLS
NOT FOR ISO´S PLAYERS AND PIRACY USERS!
- Put both files in the UPDATE folder and put the 5.02 EBOOT as 502.PBP in the same folder
- Launch app and follow instructions
CFW 5.00 M33-3 release
CFW release by Dark Alex . feel free to visit his site for more info http://www.dark-alex.org/
PSN version check is now automatically bypassed without need of touching any setting.”
With new cfw 5.00 m33-3,
Dark AleX’s CFW 4.01 M33 File Description Changes: - Recovery can now be translated, See how below. Translation to spanish is autoincluded. - The folder of 4.01 and highre homebrew will be GAME4XX so it won’t need change on update.
Dark AleX’s CFW 4.01 M33 is finally here! Changes include:
- Bug fix: vshmenu didn’t let change camera mode due to camera_plugin using select button.
Fixed, now vsh menu will not be loaded when using the camera.
- Updated the M33 SDK with a new function and sample, and released the psp-packer tool to
compress prx’s and PBP’s in the ~PSP format.
Dark AleX’s CFW 4.01 M33
- Recovery can now be translated, See how below. Translation to spanish is autoincluded.
- The folder of 4.01 and highre homebrew will be GAME4XX so it won’t need change on update.
CFW 3.95 GEN-2
We’ve all been waiting for it and it’s here on the dot. PSP Custom Firmware 3.95 GEN-2 has been released by its devs over at PSPGEN and we’ve got the download and the changelog just for you.
As promised, fixes have been made to address issues from the previous version. Installation notes have also been listed below by the devs to make everything easier for you.
* Fixed issue which crashed the PSP if you had vshmenu mode ‘None’.
* Fixed SNES emulator issues, now works fine.
* Fixed few homebrew issues with the Slim.
* Last version of the SNES emulator, PSPTube and many other homebrew using ME now work fine.
For everyone who wants to install 3.95 GEN, you must be on at least 3.71M33.
* Download the package with 3.95 GEN and the popsloader.
* Note: When installing, all your plug-ins will be disabled.
* Connect your PSP to your computer via USB.
* Extract the file you downloaded by right clicking and choosing the option ‘Extract Files To…’.
* Extract the files to your PSP’s assigned letter (for example, X).
* Leave USB Mode.
* Goto GAME > Memory Stick > 3.95 GEN
As always, it would be best if you check out the readme before you install this version of this software. It’s in the archive along with the other files.
Custom Firmware 3.90 M33 Instructions - Copy the UPDATE folder into /PSP/GAME/ Changes: - 3.80 -> 3.90 Changes in updater: - The degeneration check and correction of IDS keys happens too in 3.71 now.
- Get the 3.90 sony update from somewhere, and put it in same folder, with name “390.PBP”.
Alternatively, you can let the installer to download for you via wifi.
- Run it, the update will be done by Sony updater. At the end when you are asked to reboot the
PSP pressing X or O, do it.
- March33 NO UMD: fixed (yet another) bug related with exiting with home. (infinite semaphore wait)
- Added code to download 3.90 PBP from net via wifi.
Note that his code is not yet 100% stable, it may crash when selecting AP. In that case,
reinit the installer.
- L+triangle has been restored as method to bypass battery.
If you already have 390.PBP keep those buttons pressed until you see “Veryfing 390.PBP”.
If the 390.PBP is being downloaded bia wifi, press those buttons at the end of download until
you see the previous sentence.
Custom Firmware 3.90 M33
- Copy the UPDATE folder into /PSP/GAME/
- 3.80 -> 3.90
Changes in updater:
- The degeneration check and correction of IDS keys happens too in 3.71 now.
Team M33’s Custom Firmware 3.80 M33
This is the 3.80 M33 Custom Firmware by Team M33.
Installation requires a PSP with 3.52 M33-3 or higher. In the future installation using pandora battery will be released.
Copy the UPDATE folder into /PSP/GAME/
Get the 3.80 sony update from somewhere, and put it in same folder, with name “380.PBP”.
Run it, the update will be done by Sony updater. At the end when you are asked to reboot the PSP pressing X or O, do it.
HEN core: user mode can load now signchecked files from flash.
recovery: flash1 format will create flash1 directories after format. This could fix some flash1 issues with the previous versions.
Network update from dark-alex.org page. By default is enabled. You can turn it off in recovery (when off, network update will download sony updates as usual).
Nids resolver for various kernel libraries.
In 3.80 sony has changed (again) kernel nids. The nids resolver will resolve a lot of nids from firmwares 1.50-3.60 (traditional nids) to the ones of 3.80 kernel.
In general, 3.71 nids will NOT be resolved to 3.80 ones. However, to compatibilize 3.80 M33 with prx’s programmed for 3.71, a few very 3.71 nids that were found in some 3.71 plugins will be resolved too. More info about what is resolved in nidsresolver_status.txt.
Thanks to the combination of the nids resolver and the user libraries possibility in kernel mode added back in 3.71 M33-3, some programs that stopped working in 3.30 M33 may work again now. One of them is PimpStreamer 0.90.
Finally, popsloader plugin from 3.71 will not work in 3.80 M33 due to its system dependancy. A new one will be rewritten for 3.80 M33.M.
Team M33’s Custom Firmware 3.71 M33-1
This is the first update to the 3.71 M33 firmware. You must already have installed a 3.52 M33-4+ firmware in order to install this firmware:
Changes in 3.71 M33:
- Now uses 3.71
- VSH Menu is not longer launched using HOME key, but using SELECT now. This is to not
interfere with the XMB function of home, which is now more useful in this firmware.
- Psp Slim: umdcache was allocating memory even when homebrew was launched, wasting
memory that homebrew programs may want to use. Now umdcache module is stopped before
it can allocate any memory, only in the case homebrew is launched.
- Both version boot now from 3.XX ipl, and are independent of 1.50.
Team M33′’s Custom Firmware 3.60 M33 (PSP Slim)
We are proud to present the first custom firmware for the PSP Slim, and the first custom firmware
that runs using a 3.XX IPL (3.60)
3.60 M33 for PSP Slim has all the features of 3.52 M33, except the 1.50 kernel support, as
that kernel doesn”t work properly on psp slim (hardware problems, screen problems).
3.60 M33 will load homebrew from GAME, GAME150 and GAME360 directories, but all will be executed
with 3.60 kernel.
This mean that some homebrews done specifically for the 1.50 kernel cannot work on 3.60 M33.
However, the adaptation of code to 2.XX+ kernels is not difficult, and homebrew developers can
port their aplications to work in these firmwares.
Included with the release is the M33 sdk for programmers.
The instalation is done using pandora battery and requires a fat psp with 1.50 or
custom firmware with 1.50 support to run a installer.
However once the memory stick installation is done, you can use it in whatever psp slim without
repeating the process again.
We want to thank C+D Team for having created Pandora and having opened the path to custom ipl’’s,
without which this cfw wouldn”t exist.
- Create a pandora battery and a pandora memory stick using the C+D team tools.
- Run the fat psp with the pandora memory stick inserted, but with a normal battery.
Copy the directories pandora_slim and pandora_slim% to PSP/GAME or PSP/GAME150.
- Download official sony firmwares 3.40 and 3.50, and put them in pandora_slim directory
with names 340.PBP and 350.PBP.
To avoid confussion: These firmwares are used ONLY to extend the memory stick pandora kernel.
NOTHING FROM THOSE FIRMWARES WILL EVER BE FLASHED ON THE SLIM.
- Run the program. It will quickly extract some prx’’s overwrting some of the pandora memory stick.
- Insert the pandora battery and the memory stick in the psp slim. It will boot. You won”t see
anything on the screen, because that kernel doesn”t support the slim screen, but it is OK, you
don”t need a screen for the installation of 3.60 M33.
From here, you have 3 options:
- Press X to install M33. The process will last just few seconds, since the installer only
needs to install the M33 custom prx’’s and IPL. After the process is finished, the installer
will shutdown the psp automatically.
- Press L+R+triangle to uninstall M33 and go back to original 3.60. Note: this can”t unbrick a
psp slim, it will just remove M33 ipl. There is currently no unbricker for the psp slim, but
we plan on doing one in the future.
After uninstallation, psp will be shutdown automatically.
- Press square to dump the PSP Slim nand. Watch out: you need 66 MB of free space in the
memory stick for this, otherwise your memory stick may end corrupted.
This option uses the team C+D nand dumper. When the memory stick orange led stops blinking,
the process will have finished, and you can either shutdown the psp, or use one of the two
Q: My homebrew doesn”t work.
A: as stated above, not all homebrews work due to 1.50 kernel missing.
Wait for the programmer of that homebrew to port it to new kernels.
Q: How can i unbrick the PSP Slim?
A: if you have a semi-brick, you can restore it using recovery and flashing the corrupted files
with usb flash. There is no real unbricker for PSP Slim yet, but we plan of doing one in the
future using C+D Pandora Battery.
Q: is M33 gonna make a 3.60 cfw for the fat psp’’s?
A: The firmware as it is flashed in the slim psp’’s is only for psp slims. Whenever sony releases
an updater, we”ll support both, fat and slim psp’’s, but we are not gonna make a custom firmware
using 3.60 slim dump, because it is not done for the fat psp. Stop listening stupid rumors of kids:
we are 103% sure that Sony will continue releasing firmware updates for all psp’’s.
Moreover, the 3.60 firmware was done before 3.52: the pops, for example, is a clone of the one of 3.50/3.51
So it has nothing new for fat psp’’s.
Q: I liked the FW, what can I do to help M33?
A: You can contribute some money for all our members to get PSP Slims. Our paypal address is email@example.com
Team M33’s Custom Firmware 3.52 M33
Russian hacking group M33 have released a new build of their custom PSP firmware which now uses v3.52 firmware,The update fixes a M33 No UMD problem and PSX games downloaded from the PSN network should now work.
Changes in firmware 3.52 M33:
Now uses firmware 3.52
M33 NO-UMD: fixed problem with Simple 2500 Series Portable, The IQ Cube
Fix a bug which made Go!Cam, GPS and sceKernelLoadExecVSH* not work in game mode.
PSN downloaded PSX games support wasn’t working in 3.51 M33 (didn’t work in latest OE’s either). Now it is working again. If an original PSN game still doesn’t work, we recommend to delete files KEYS.BIN if exists, and copy the game again from PS3 to PSP.
Team M33’s Custom Firmware 3.51 M33-7
This is the sixth update to Team M33’s 3.51 M33. This update is accumulative meaning the features in any previous update are also in this update. You must already have a 3.51 M33 firmware installed to use this one. The changes from 3.51 M33-6 and 3.51 M33-7 are:
* Improvements in M33 NO-UMD driver (yeah, we know that sony one is better, but we still are working
on our own driver to make it perfect as a challenge). The improvements:
- Fixed a bug that caused incompatibility with ATV Offroad Fury Pro, Steel Horizons,
Tony Hawk’s Project 8 and probably more games.
- Speed loading has improved, now M33 driver imitates better Sony one.
* Automatic display fix for ta-082+ with brightness problems in 1.50 kernel.
- M33 will autodetect ta-082+ with brightness problems, and will correct brightness properly.
* 4th level of brighrness enabled on 1.5 kernel too now.
* An option has been added to recovery, “Hard Reset on 1.50 homebrew”. Use this, only if the wifi fix doesn’t work with your psp still. It makes homebrew boot a bit slower.
Dark_Alex’s Custom Firmware 3.10OE-A2 (Update)
Custom firmware 3.10OE-A was another update in Dark_Alex’s custom firmwares. While the major update was always the ability to run Sony’s latest firmware, he did once in awhile add a few features.
Changes in firmware 3.10OE-a:
Change from 3.03 firmware to 3.10
Changes in hen core:
* Static user elf’s can now be executed in the 3.10 kernel. (this includes snes user version between other programs)
* Tyranid’s patch (added in 3.03 OE-C) consequences was not explained very well in the changelog of 3.03 OE-C:
For programmers: it allows kernel modules to have user imports, making kernel programming in 3.03/3.10 less strict.
For users: plugins and applications that worked in 2.71 SE, but not in OE, *may* now work in 3.03OE-C and 3.10 OE-A.
For more information on this custom firmware, check out the release article. For installing, always read the “readme” included in this file.
Dark-Alex Custom Firmware 3.03 OE-B This is Dark-Alex’s second update to the 3.03 OE firmwares. You must already have a 3.03 OE firmware installed before you install this firmware. The changes from 3.03 OE-A2 and 3.03 OE-B are: changes in OE: - Patched the firmware to allow decrypted mp4-AVC videos to play at 480×272 resolution. Note: due to the inclusion of pic0.png, the iso cache has changed slightly; as a consequence you will notice a slowdown the first time you access game menu after this update, just as if you have modified the iso folder. Changes in docmaker: - A flag that lets increase the limit of 100 png’s to 1000 was found. (this is the real maximum number of images that support the emulator document.dat reader). The document.dat’s created with this version, can have any number of images between 1 and 1000, and they will work in whatever 3.03 OE version.
- pic0.png was not shown in psp isos. Fixed.
- The speed functions were not dummied after setting the speed. This could cause the few games that set the cpu speed not to run at the selected speed in the recovery menu.
- Changed the structure of the program to have more free ram in game mode. sysmemp.prx removed, systemctrl.prx splitted into systemctrl.prx and vshctrl.prx.
Dark-Alex Custom Firmware 3.03 OE-B
This is Dark-Alex’s second update to the 3.03 OE firmwares. You must already have a 3.03 OE firmware installed before you install this firmware. The changes from 3.03 OE-A2 and 3.03 OE-B are:
changes in OE:
- Patched the firmware to allow decrypted mp4-AVC videos to play at 480×272 resolution.
Note: due to the inclusion of pic0.png, the iso cache has changed slightly; as a consequence you will notice a slowdown the first time you access game menu after this update, just as if you have modified the iso folder.
Changes in docmaker:
- A flag that lets increase the limit of 100 png’s to 1000 was found. (this is the real maximum number of images that support the emulator document.dat reader). The document.dat’s created with this version, can have any number of images between 1 and 1000, and they will work in whatever 3.03 OE version.
Dark-Alex’s Custom Firmware 3.03 OE-A2
This is Dark-Alex’s first update to the 3.03 OE firmwares. You must already have a 3.03 OE firmware installed before you install this firmware. The changes from 3.03 OE-A and 3.03 OE-A2 are:
- Added cpu clock selection for umd/iso games. (not for vsh yet)
- Fixed various bugs regarding the recovery menu, one of them made “rare text” appear when entering in plugins if pops plugins existed, the other one caused a crash when pressing triangle.
- Fixed a small part of code in umd emulation that was not multithread safe.
One of the most popular custom firmwares available, Dark_Alex’s custom firmware 3.03OE-C gives you all the features of Sony’s 3.03, while being able to run your homebrew! Another big part of 3.03OE-C is the ability to customize your PSP, including the XMB icons, plugins, and so on. It also continues the same feature from 3.02OE-B, “PopStation”, which allows you to make back-ups of your PSOne games and play them on your PSP!
For more information, please look at the readme article attached, as well as the release article.
For information on customizing your PSP, head over to superskull85’s Ultimate PSP Customization Guide.
Dark_Alex’s Custom Firmware 2.71SE-A
Dark_Alex’s first ever custom firmware! This firmware allows you to run Sony’s official 2.71 firmware, while running all your favorite homebrew applications. You no longer need to switch back and forth using DevHook, or have a limited 1.50. Just downgrade your PSP to 1.50, and update to Dark_Alex’s 2.71SE-A!
For more information on 2.71SE-A, and instructions to download, please look into the readme of this file, and the Download 1
Custom Firmware 1.53
In a time when Dark_AleX and Booster creations are, arguably, the creams of the crop, it is always nice to have other options for all of us in the homebrew community. Remember the year-old Custom Firmware 1.50: Media Edition? Well, eiffel56 informed us that he has released Custom Firmware 1.53. So what does this do?
This one is made for FW1.5 loyalists. Basically, it’s a custom firmware which allows you to do more things on your fw 1.50, like starting nokxploited EBOOTS and so on. Here’s what’s new for this release:
* Recovery Menu
* Boot Menu
* Integrated uxMB
* You can start 1.00 style EBOOTS
* You can hide corrupt data icons
* You can start ISO/DAX files
* You can load your own plugins(PRX)
* Autoboot EBOOTs at startup
* Never turn off the backlight in XMB
The dev has provided us with an in-depth readme file that comes with the download. So if this creation tickles your fancy, we suggest that you understand and read the file.